Cobalion, the Iron Will Pokémon, is one of the four Swords of Justice — a quartet of Legendary Pokémon from Gen 5, based on the Three Musketeers. Cobalion, the leader of these legendary dogs (not the Legendary Dogs — confusingly, those are different Pokémon) is the Steel and Fighting-type Sword of Justice.
Below you’ll find Cobalion’s counters and weaknesses to help you succeed in Pokémon Go – just remember you’ll likely need to bring a couple of friends to the Raid if you want to take this boss down.
On this page:
Cobalion counters and weaknesses in Pokémon Go
Here’s everything you need to know to quickly defeat Cobalion and have the best chance of catching it after the Raids:
- Cobalion type: Steel and Fighting
- Cobalion is weak against: Fighting, Ground and Fire
- Cobalion is strong against: Bug, Poison, Rock, Dark, Dragon, Grass, Ice, Normal, Steel
- Cobalion Mega counters: Primal Groudon, Mega Blaziken and Mega Charizard Y are your best bets
- Cobalion non-Mega counters: Shadow Chandelure, Shadow Blaziken, Reshiram with Fusion Flare, any of the other Swords of Justice with Sacred Sword, Groudon with Precipice Blades, or an army of Lucario with Aura Sphere.
- Number of players to beat Cobalion: Three or four Trainers with optimal Level 40 counters.
- Tactics: This is a relatively straightforward battle. Bring your strongest Fire or Fighting-type and spam it until you win!
Cobalion CP in Pokémon Go
Cobalion should have the following CP ranges:
- Cobalion Raid CP – 39,601 CP
- CP range for catching Garchomp – 1649 to 1727 CP
- Weather Boosted (Snow/Cloudy) Cobalion CP – 2061 to 2159 CP
Cobalion Moveset in Pokémon Go
Cobalion is a great Pokémon in Ultra League, taking down the likes of Walrein, Galarian Stunfisk, Obstagoon, Alolan Muk and Alolan Ninetales. It does this using a combination of Double Kick, Sacred Sword and Stone Edge.
If you were going to try to use Cobalion Raids, you’d run the same moveset. However, you’d be better off simply running Terrakion instead, since the Chonk of Justice is a much better Fighting-type counter.
You can see Cobalion’s full move set below:
- Double Kick (Fighting)
- Metal Claw (Metal)
- Zen Headbutt (Psychic)
- Close Combat (Fighting)
- Iron Head (Metal)
- Stone Edge (Rock)
Legacy Charged Moves:
- Sacred Sword (Fighting)
The Season of Timeless Travels has arrived in Pokémon Go! The Along the Routes event is here, bringing Gift Exchange and the A Route to New Friendships quest with it. During it, take the time to try out Routes and Party Play while you're hunting down rare Pokémon, fighting in the Go Battle League or competing in PokéStop Showcases.
Everything we know about Cobalion
The Swords of Justice protect other Pokémon from the threat of humans destroying their natural habitats. They have been known to fight armies of humans when the need arose.
A notable example of their bravery was when the Swords of Justice protected wild Pokémon during a forest fire in the Moor of Icirrus. Without the help of the Swords of Justice, these wild Pokémon would have perished. Cobalion helped direct these Pokémon away from the flames.
The Swords of Justice are based upon the novel, The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas. Each member of this legendary quartet represents a different musketeer, with Cobalion standing in for Athos. This explains why Cobalion is the leader of the Swords of Justice.
If you want to learn more about the Iron Will Pokémon, you can read their official Pokédex entries below:
- Cobalion: 'This Pokémon appears in a legend alongside Terrakion and Virizion, fighting against humans in defense of the Unova region’s Pokémon.'
For those looking for a shiny, you’ll be pleased to know that shiny Cobalion was released in March 2020. It’s a slightly darker shade of blue, so not the most exciting of shinies, unfortunately.
Good luck battling Cobalion in Pokémon Go!