After waiting a while for any news, GTA 6 has finally been shown - although not without another leak ruining the party first.
The first GTA 6 trailer had been due to arrive on December 5th, but Rockstar decided to release it early due to it appearing online elsewhere. You can watch the trailer below.
In addition, below you'll find everything we know so far about GTA 6, which we're updating with concrete info as we analyse the new trailer.
On this page:
GTA 6 trailer
The GTA 6 trailer had been due to release on Tuesday, December 5th at 2pm GMT, but due to another leak Rockstar decided to release the GTA 6 trailer early. Watch it below!
The above trailer grants us our first look at the playable characters of GTA 6 - a couple joined in love and robbery - along with shots of modern day Vice Ciy, it's surrounding wetlands and gives us an idea how the in-game social media might impact gameplay. There's even some crocodiles!
Also, Nightclub owners in the current GTA Online may already know the name Dixon - the DJ also known as Steffen Berkhahn - who you meet through English Dave. In the trailer, we get a brief glimpse of a building labelled 'Hotel Dixon' that may mean we will see more of him in GTA 6.'
With that now out in the wild, we've put together our initial reactions to GTA 6's first trailer and everything we noticed in the GTA 6 trailer, with Rockstar opting to play it safe in 2023's already wild world.
GTA 6 release date window
We finally know that GTA 6 will release in 2025, but there is no specific date within that year-long release window yet.
This release window is for GTA 6 on Xbox Series X / S and PlayStation 5. There has been no mention of the PC version of the game at the time of writing.
Notably, it's around a year later than many had expected, with a Bloomberg report published in July 2022 featuring industry analysts who anticipated GTA 6's launch in Take-Two's 2024 fiscal year, which runs between April 2023 to March 2024. That said, the people interviewed for this report explained that "they didn't know of any firm release date and that they expect the game to be at least two years away." They were right there.
Development itself apparently started in 2014 (just a year after GTA 5) and, in a February 2022 blog post, Rockstar previously confirmed the next instalment in the GTA series was in "active development."
That later-than-expected release may also be due to Rockstar's reported change in working practices, in response to the controversies it has faced over the years. Eurogamer's original report on the "mandatory" crunch Rockstar Lincoln developers faced in particular, during development of the studio's most recent game, Red Dead Redemption 2, was one significant example.
Others also compared the company to a frat house, and there was public outcry when Dan Houser said his team worked "100-hour weeks" to finish Red Dead Redemption 2. These reported positive changes include hiring additional producers to help manage workloads and a promise from management that, when it comes to GTA 6, "excessive overtime won't be required."
It's worth remembering that Rockstar has made a habit out of delaying their games multiple times after they've set a release date, so, even with that 2025 window in mind, hold some doubt in your heart.
You should also be on your guard for fake GTA 6 release date news, even now we have that 2025 release window, as exemplified by the player who hacked GTA Online to tease a fake GTA 6 release date back in 2018.
GTA 6 platforms: Which platforms will GTA 6 be released on?
As mentioned above, we know GTA 6 will be available on Xbox Series X / S and PlayStation 5 when it's released in 2025.
When, and whether, the game will be launched on PC is still a mystery though. Traditionally, each installment of the series has been available on PC, so there's a good chance Rockstar will provide this important information at a later date.
Everything we know about GTA 6
As mentioned above, Rockstar had until now been totally quiet when it comes to GTA 6, with the studio previously only mentioning in a Grand Theft Auto Community Update in February 2022 that the next GTA game was in "active development", and that they would share more when they're ready (which they now finally have).
Also, in late 2022 Rockstar acknowledged a massive GTA 6 leak after hackers got their hands on early development footage for the next Grand Theft Auto instalment. But in terms of officially confirmed information, the first trailer from December 2023 now gives us the most to go on:
- GTA 6 will have a playable female protagonist - confirming previous reports, it seems she will be Latina and indeed "one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde," as she's shown with a male lover and partner in crime. A playable female protagonist is a first for the Grand Theft Auto series. It seems she'll be accompanied by a male partner, too.
- GTA 6 will be set in a modern day Vice City - a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding locations - GTA fans have, of course, visited the GTA 6 location before in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Many GTA fans had actually long suspected it would be the setting for GTA 6 thanks to a specific DLC racing track in GTA 5.
- Rockstar plans to "continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis" - That's according to the Bloomberg report only for now. Given how GTA 6 was originally meant to span "large swaths of North and South America" but had to be scaled down during development, you have to wonder exactly how large the map will eventually become after the game is released.
- GTA 6 will have a different comedic tone when compared to past games - The Bloomberg report's sources claim this is due to the developer's desire to avoid jokes which "punch down" to marginalised groups. The report also commented on how a number of Rockstar employees believe it's hard to continue GTA's reputation of satirising modern day America, because "it's already a satire of itself."
- Changes to the work culture at Rockstar have affected GTA 6's development - After facing public backlash in 2018 over the crunch Red Dead Redemption 2 developers faced, Rockstar has implemented a number of changes to their work culture. This includes a "flexitime policy, which allows employees to take time off for every additional hour they work, and, according to the Bloomberg report, "management has promised that excessive overtime won't be required" when it comes to GTA 6. Morale at the company is apparently higher, even though the game is taking longer to develop, but, hopefully, the greater amount of care given to the game and, more importantly, its creators will result in a grand GTA 6.
Also, according to u/Tobbelobben30 on Reddit, Take-Two has patented a new locomotion system to make 'highly dynamic and realistic animations'. However, nothing official has been said by Rockstar so again, this is a rumour that holds weight, but is yet to be confirmed.
On a lighter note, fans had been so desperate for any details on GTA 6 that they turned to the in-game moon. In short, one theory was that the Rockstar Newswire image showcasing 'Red Happy Moon' t-shirts in September 2023 was a subtle teaser that more is on its way about GTA 6. The two characters wearing the shirts are standing in front of the iconic Vinewood sign, but only the 'VI' part is visible - which is six in roman numerals, leading many fans to believe that this is Rockstar's way of telling us there's more coming soon.
In other news, Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter T-Pain revealed his collaboration with with Rockstar during a livestream. What type of collaboration this will be is currently unknown, but a cameo or music contribution are likely possibilities.
Elsewhere in the world of wanting GTA 6 to happen faster, Gamescom Opening Night Live August 2023 had a stage invader that stood next to Geoff Keighley and said 'I want to play GTA 6' before being removed from the stage.
Amongst all that noise then, at least the first GTA 6 trailer finally gave us some concrete info - although it looks like we're in for a long old wait for 2025.